This page is aimed at providing prescribers in NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde with useful other resources that have been developed. It is not intended to contain guidelines (see Clinical Guidelines). This is an alphabetical list:
Adding Medicines to EMIS and VISION that are not to be supplied by GP practices
Within General Practice, it is beneficial to ensure that a patient's medicine record includes medicines that may be prescribed and supplied outwith the GP practice, such as the acute sector, community mental health teams etc. This Medicines Update Blog (published in January 2022) shows how to add medicines that do not require supply to the most frequently used GP computer systems.
Adult Gentamicin and Vancomycin Calculators
The adult gentamicin and vancomycin calculators are intended for use only within NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde and are available via the Clinical Info pages on StaffNet or the GGC Medicines app.
Direct Oral Anticoagulants
The following prescribing resource has been produced to assist prescribers in the use of these agents for patients with AF and for VTE.
- DOAC Prescribing Guidance in Patients with Non-Valvular Atrial Fibrillation and VTE (MU Extra 07) - March 2018
- Apixaban for VTE - Initiation Letter (PDF version)
- Apixaban for VTE - Initiation Letter (e-Version)
For information on the NHSGGC DOAC Patient Information Booklet and Alert Card click here
Gluten-Free Foods and Products
- NES Pharmacy Gluten-Free Foods Pack learning resource (2017)
Guidance on the use of specials in primary care
This document offers prescribers in primary care guidance about when it is appropriate to prescribe a 'special', what the responsibilities are of those involved in the prescribing and dispensing and advice on the types of specials that are approved for routine use within NHSGGC.
- NHS GGC Specials Guidance for Primary Care - April 2021
- NHSGGC Specials A to Z List - December 2022
- MHRA: Supply of unlicensed medicinal products specials - 2014
Inhaler Device and Asthma/COPD Resources
This section includes guidance for device choices in asthma and COPD, generic patient information leaflets for staff involved in training patients on how to use their inhaler devices and a Good Practice Guide which aids device identification.
- Asthma and COPD Inhaler Device Guides - August 2021
- Inhaler Devices - Generic Patient Information Leaflets - May 2019
- Respiratory Inhalers: Identification Guide - June 2017
- Respiratory Inhaler: Identification Chart - January 2017
- Inhaler Technique Guide for Healthcare Professionals - January 2017
- Respiratory Inhalers: List for GP Reception Staff - November 2015
- Asthma Self Management Plan (Adults) - October 2016
- Greener Prescribing - inhaler toolkit - September 2022
- Greener Prescribing - inhaler recycling poster - September 2022
Information for the prescribing of IV immunoglobulins, including request forms and infusion schedules can be accessed from this designated page on SharePoint
Medication review - tools
The tools below can support a mindful prescribing approach.
- Medicinal Cannabis - Guidance for Prescribers (last updated June 2023)
MHRA Drug Safety Update
This webpage and monthly newsletter provide healthcare professionals with up to date safety information and warning for medicines. You can access the page via the MHRA website HERE
Near Patient Testing (NPT)
Details of the contract arrangements for NPT can be found on the Primary Care GMS Contract Team page on StaffNet (click here, access to NHS Network required).
New lipid lowering medicines: alirocumab and evolocumab
Non-Prescription of Antibiotics
The Royal College of General Practitioners has produced a useful patient information leaflet that can be issued to patients to explain how they can self-manage some of the most common infections, therefore often avoiding inappropriate antibiotic use. The leaflet is available for download in various languages and formats and replaces the non-prescription pads that were obtained from this page previously.
Prescription and Administration Medicines Chart for the Acute Division
- Approved inpatient prescription charts and the relevant ordering codes are available from this page on StaffNet (e.g. vancomycin, gentamicin, VRIII)
Vitamin B12 Prescribing
- Guideline for the management of vitamin B12 deficiency
- Patient Information Leaflet on vitamin B12 deficiency (January 2018)
Vitamin D Supplementation
This document contains a list of current licensed colecalciferol preparations (updated October 2023).
A PIL on Vitamin D is also available in the Patient Information section of this website