Oxypro® - Preferred Brand of Oxycodone MR
Oxypro® is now the NHSGGC preferred brand of modified-release (MR) oxycodone tablets (replacing Longtec®). Several brands of generic oxycodone MR are now available. NHSGGC recommendation is that modified-release controlled drugs should be prescribed by brand name.
- Morphine remains the preferred choice of strong opioid within NHSGGC
- Oxycodone use remains second-line restricted to patients in whom morphine is ineffective or not tolerated
- Modified-release oxycodone should be prescribed as 'Oxypro®'
- Oxypro® is:
- bioequivalent with Oxycontin® and Longtec®
- packaged in child proof blister strips
- available in a comprehensive range of strengths and all tablets are the same colour as Longtec® and Oxycontin® (only 120mg not available which is infrequently prescribed)
- Immediate-release oxycodone should continue to be prescribed as 'Shortec®'
Information for Acute Care
- From December 2019, Oxypro® will be supplied in the Acute sector when existing stocks of Longtec® are exhausted
- A memo supporting this switch for Acute is available here.
Information for Primary Care
- Unless there are clinical or patient reasons suggesting otherwise, GPs should prescribe the Oxypro® brand of oxycodone to avoid confusion and ensure consistency of supply across Primary and Acute care.
- From 1st December 2019, an electronic message will be used on ScriptSwitch® to prompt the change from Longtec®, Oxycontin MR® or oxycodone MR to Oxypro®.
- Community pharmacies have been given one month’s notice to allow management of existing stock.
Enquiries should be directed to: Central Prescribing Team, Clarkston Court; 0141 201 6030; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published 22/11/19. Medicines Update blogs are correct at the time of publication.